For new readers

To get an idea of what I'm trying to do and why I think it's possible, check out the following entries, they'll help get you up to speed.

Monday, July 4, 2011

Simplicity

thanks for the inspiration Michael!
I find myself drawn to simplicity.  In my attempts to describe and detail my philosophy when it comes to endurance training on limited volume, i've been increasingly compelled to try and do it with less and less verbosity.  I need a catch phrase of sorts - something like what Michael Pollan uses to describe his ideas relating to the food:
Eat food.  Not too much.  Mostly plants.
I'm not sure i can be quite that concise at this point, but i think i can boil it down to a few simple rules.

  1. Train hard (at least 3 times a week)
  2. Not too much (allowing for at least one recovery day between workouts, each of which is of the minimum duration to allow for maximal physiological adaptation)
  3. Mostly Z3+ (use intervals, HIT techniques focusing on sustained efforts at or above Zone 3)
Wow, maybe I can be that concise.  Sure this might be an oversimplification - the tag line for a set of ideas that could easily be turned into a 200 page book, but there is something very nice to be able to embody the core sense of these ideas in such a few short statements.  I'm going to try it out the next time someone asks me for training advice, or asks me how i train for all the crazy stuff i do - 
Train hard.  Not too much.  Mostly in Zone 3.



No comments:

Post a Comment