For new readers

To get an idea of what I'm trying to do and why I think it's possible, check out the following entries, they'll help get you up to speed.

Monday, November 14, 2011

O U C H

It had been an awful long time since i'd had a long run outside, and because in 10 weeks i'll be aiming for a  really long run outside, i figured it'd be better not to wait any longer.  I couldn't quite muster the motivation to go on my own, so decided to try to use my vast social network to get some company.  It seemed like a good idea at the time.

It was.  And it wasn't.  I suppose this is the way with most ideas - there is a pretty distinct separation between what is good for the short term and good for the long term.  In this case, my decision was good for the long term.  I'm pretty sure its going to kick my body into gear and make it realize - holy sh*T - he intends to be a runner again!  As far as the short term is concerned though, i'll refer you to the title.

My running partner/would be executioner.
Sure, i've felt like this before, but it has been a while.  And it has probably been longer since i felt so destroyed 20 minutes into an hour workout.  But it was my decision - truth be told i only sought company from one guy - Sean Cooley - who i learned (while running our first mile at sub 6:40 - despite clear instructions that i wanted an hour run at around a 7 minute pace) is soon to be announced as Minnesota Tri News' most improved triathlete of 2011.  I'm not a very social runner, but i needed to be pushed and knew Sean could do the job.  I just didn't realize how well he could do it, but then he is an overachiever (not many 'most improved triathletes' are also first year med students).  We eventually slowed down to our target pace by the fifth mile, but it was too little too late.  I hung on through mile eight and then cut Sean loose, jogging and even walking the remaining 2 miles to my house, and can barely walk this morning.

Awesome.

1 comment: