For new readers

To get an idea of what I'm trying to do and why I think it's possible, check out the following entries, they'll help get you up to speed.

Thursday, May 3, 2012

Tests of Time

Racers at the start line of END-SPAR, the race that i'd been working so hard on
Last week served as a great test of the truncated nature of my training.  I was busy as can be with my normal 'load' and in addition it was race week - not a race in which i was participant, but one in which i was running the show.

Essentially all of my free time was spoken for - stuffing swag bags, organizing volunteers, updating spreadsheets, buying last minute supplies, and setting the course - something which alone took two eight hour 'work days.'  In addition, my brother and his wife were visiting (and racing) so there was a full schedule of family events in the midst of the whirlwind of race planning.  And of course my stress level was through the roof.
Somehow, however, i managed to fit it all in.  A very quick few climbs on tuesday, a fast and furious 30 minute bike on my way home on wednesday, a fifteen minute swim squeezed in between printing maps and going out to vet the course on friday, and a combined 'brick' workout of running and paddling (45 minutes and 15 minutes respectively) on Sunday.  And maybe it is due to a few years of practice, but i was able to - despite the stress and frantic schedule - to settle in and push hard once i started each workout.

This is key for me - the ability to let all the other stuff go once i start the training.  I call it my 'five minutes in' rule (i'll elaborate in another post) - being able to be really present during training  - to drop all the other junk in my head and focus on the goal of getting  as much as possible out of the next few minutes of effort.  It works for me.  Well enough to allow me (still crossing my fingers every time but history gives me hope) to do the crazy things that i want to do (like the unsupported 50K trail run i'm doing on sunday) without the traditionally demanded time commitments.

No comments:

Post a Comment