The general formula is to do four workouts a week, cycling between swimming, biking and running (triathlon order). The first three workouts each week (on M/W/F for me) are 10 minutes long. The weekend workout is 30 minutes long. The Monday workout is short intervals, the Wed. workout is medium intervals, and the Friday workout is a single interval/time trial effort. The weekend workout is a longer, race pace effort. The entire schedule will repeat itself every three weeks and will look like this:
- Mon - swim, 10 minutes, short intervals
- Wed - bike, 10 min, med intervals
- Fri - Run, 10 min, single interval
- Sat/Sun - swim, 30 minutes, race pace
- Mon - bike, 10 min, short intervals
- Wed - Run, 10 min, med intervals
- Fri - Swim, 10 min, single interval
- Sat - Bike, 30 min, race pace/time trial - doing this workout on friday allows a day of rest before next lower body workout.
- Mon - run, 10 min, short intervals
- Wed - swim, 10 min, med intervals
- Fri - Bike, 10 min, single interval
- Sun - Run, 30 min, single interval - doing this on sunday allows a day of rest since previous lower body workout
As i mentioned in my last post, i'll eventually hit a plateau of sorts and should be able to identify it pretty specifically. This is actually a good thing in a sense - it will help me have a goal to 'climb back up to' after each endurance event so i'll know when i'm ready to go destroy myself again.
Finally, i'll mention once again that these workouts are brutal. i'm not looking for a shortcut. I have a great work ethic and a high degree of willpower. I also am extremely ambitious, and am very much looking forward to this next year where i get to explore the limits of where this regimen can take me and when i'm sure to have lots of time out there walking that line.
Next up - details for the swim workouts.....